As we embark on a new year, it’s the perfect time to reflect on our achievements, reassess our priorities, and set new goals. For voice-over artists, this is an exciting opportunity to refine your craft, expand your horizons, and take your career to new heights. In this blog, we’ll explore the importance of setting voice-over goals for the upcoming year, provide a blueprint for success, and give some examples of voice-over goals as a potential guide.
Why Set Voice-Over Goals?
- Focus and Clarity: Goals provide focus by narrowing down your priorities. They help you identify the areas where you need improvement, allowing you to allocate your time and energy efficiently.
- Motivation and Inspiration: Setting goals gives you something to strive for, fostering motivation and inspiration. It keeps you engaged, even during challenging times, by reminding you of the bigger picture.
- Measurable Progress: With well-defined goals, you can track your progress objectively. This allows you to celebrate achievements, learn from setbacks, and continuously improve your skills.
- Professional Development: Voice-over artists, like any other professionals, should engage in continuous learning. Goals provide a framework for your professional development, encouraging you to explore new techniques and stay relevant in the industry.
Creating Your Voice-Over Goals
Now that we understand the importance of setting voice-over goals, let’s get into the process of creating them.
- Self-Assessment: Start by reflecting on your current skills, strengths, and weaknesses. What aspects of your voice-over work do you excel in, and where can you improve? Be honest with yourself, as this self-awareness is crucial for setting realistic goals.
- Define Your Objectives: Consider what you want to achieve in the upcoming year. Whether it’s expanding your client base, mastering a new accent, or diversifying into different genres, clearly define your objectives. Make sure they align with your overall career aspirations.
- Break Down Goals: Large goals can be overwhelming. Break them down into smaller, more manageable tasks. For example, if your goal is to increase your client base, you could include creating a compelling demo reel, networking with industry professionals, and actively marketing your services.
- SMART Criteria: Ensure that your goals meet the SMART criteria. They should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. For instance, instead of a vague goal like “Improve voice acting,” make it specific like “Complete a voice acting course by March” or “Practice a new character every day” or “Plan out exercises and practice for 10 minutes a day.” Make sure you set something that is achievable. For more on SMART goals, click here.
- Prioritize: Not all goals are of equal importance. Prioritize them based on their impact on your career and personal fulfillment. This will help you focus on what truly matters.
Sample Voice-Over Goals for the New Year
To inspire your goal-setting process, here are some sample voice-over goals tailored for the new year:
- Expand Your Range: Take on projects that challenge you to explore different tones, accents, or character voices. This will broaden your versatility as a voice-over artist.
- Invest in Professional Development: Enroll in workshops, courses, or coaching sessions to enhance your skills. Stay aware of industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Build an Online Presence: Establish or update your website and create a strong presence on social media platforms. Showcase your demos and portfolio, client testimonials, and any accolades you’ve received.
- Network Effectively: Attend industry events, join online forums, and connect with fellow voice-over artists, producers, and potential clients. Networking can open doors to exciting opportunities.
- Get into or grow into a new niche. Have an interest in animation? Maybe you’ve had the desire to get into e-Learning or political ads. Make a list of some new areas you desire to expand in.
- Achieve Financial Milestones: Set income goals for the year, whether it’s a specific number of projects, clients, or revenue. This will give you a tangible target to strive for.
Remember, the key to successful goal-setting is commitment and adaptability. Regularly revisit and reassess your goals, adjusting them as needed based on your progress and evolving priorities. As you embark on this new year, let your voice-over goals guide you toward a year of growth, accomplishment, and fulfillment in your craft. Cheers to a successful and fulfilling new year!
Check out our free PDF with pro-tips from real working voice-over actors here!
Want to learn more about voiceover? Signup for our introductory VO webinar.